[Tagging] Mapping language borders, tagging offical languages?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 15 14:01:45 UTC 2018

On 2018-09-15 15:18, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:

> Re: "A default should not require multiple values! It is the single value to be used in the absence of an explicit value. If you think you need multiple defaults, see my comment above about different contexts."
>
> The idea is to allow a community to choose 2 languages to be displayed together as the default language setting, if so desired. If you check out the Multilingual Names wiki page [1], there are places where people choose to standardize the default name=* be a combination of two languages or two encodings; eg  fr + nl in Brussels, or Arabic + French in Moroco. If this is going to be adopted by the folks in Belgium, Morocco etc, there should be the choice of specifying two (or 3) languages, to fit with their current preference.

How about "name:language_order=fr;nl"? No confusion possible there,
whereas "name:language=fr;nl" would not specify the order, unless you
define the list of languages to be an ordered list, which AFAIK would be
a new concept to OSM.

> I'm not trying to change the way the default name=* tag is used, just trying to make it more useful by tagging what language is actually being used in the value for the name key. And I suspect there may be more communities that will choose this option, to encourage displaying names both in the local langauge and in the official or national language.

So your idea is only for multilingual areas? Seems a bit of a waste.
Combine this with "name:language=fr" in Wallonia, "name:language=nl" in
Flanders, "name:language=de" in the Ostkantons, and
"name:language=fr;nl" in Brussels?

Is it intended to be only for street names? If so,
highway:name:language=* might be required to make that clear. Or does
everything that can have a name need to fit in with this?

Links:
------
[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multilingual_names