[Tagging] Mapping language borders, tagging offical languages?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 15:15:27 UTC 2018

Re: "How about "name:language_order=fr;nl"? No confusion possible there,
whereas "name:language=fr;nl" would not specify the order, unless you
define the list of languages to be an ordered list, which AFAIK would be a
new concept to OSM."

In Brussels they would actually like to be able to display the two
languages neutrally, without a set display order. I don't think a display
order specification is necessary. That information is already in the
default "name=*" tag

"Is it intended to be only for street names? If so, highway:name:language=*
might be required to make that clear. Or does everything that can have a
name need to fit in with this?"

Not only streets. Everything with a name=* tag has the same issues