[Tagging] maxspeed:type vs source:maxspeed // StreetComplete

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Mon Sep 17 23:07:59 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 4:42 PM Tobias Zwick <osm at westnordost.de> wrote:

> In order to find an optimal and future proof tagging schema for default
> speed limits, I believe that first extensive research have to be done to
> find out what exists in the world, what has to be considered. Also, for
> default speed limits to be actually used and understood by data
> consumers, meta information needs to be collected about how to translate
> road types to actual default speeds per vehicle type for each
> country/region.
> I started this (both) here, if you want to help, you are welcome:
>    https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Default_speed_limits

This is a Sisyphean task even by OSM standards.

Just in my state, Oklahoma, there's 597 towns, 77 counties and at least 2
councils of governments (a regional government type thing between multiple
cities), for about 46,000 possible sets of default rules.  In *one state*,
and a rural one at that.  Out of 50.