[Tagging] maxspeed:type vs source:maxspeed // StreetComplete

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Sep 18 07:56:31 UTC 2018

18. Sep 2018 01:07 by baloo at ursamundi.org <mailto:baloo at ursamundi.org>

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 4:42 PM Tobias Zwick <> osm at westnordost.de <mailto:osm at westnordost.de>> > wrote:
>> In order to find an optimal and future proof tagging schema for default
>> speed limits, I believe that first extensive research have to be done to
>> find out what exists in the world, what has to be considered. Also, for
>> default speed limits to be actually used and understood by data
>> consumers, meta information needs to be collected about how to translate
>> road types to actual default speeds per vehicle type for each
>> country/region.
>> I started this (both) here, if you want to help, you are welcome:
>>    >> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Default_speed_limits <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Default_speed_limits>
>
> This is a Sisyphean task even by OSM standards.
> Just in my state, Oklahoma, there's 597 towns, 77 counties and at least 2 councils of governments (a regional government type thing between multiple cities), for about 46,000 possible sets of default rules.  In > one state> , and a rural one at that.  Out of 50.

Note that

(1) USA is rather unusual in this fragmentation

(2) local rules are overriding rules of upper administrative level, right?

     so one would need to record 597 + 77 + 2 sets of rules (in the worst case)

(3) How you got this 46,000 number? It looks like result of multiplying 597 and 77.

      Are you sure that each of 597 towns is partially located in each of 77 counties?