[Tagging] Draft Proposal: Default Langauge Format

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 04:02:33 UTC 2018

On 19/09/18 08:58, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 11:24 PM, Joseph Eisenberg
> <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com <mailto:joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     >”I'd rather have local languages mapped rather than the language
>     the renderer 'should' use.”
>
>     By recording each name in a separate “name:<code>=*” tag, database
>     users and map makers will be able to pick the best name for their
>     audience.
>

>     For example, a vector map on a smartphone app could show names in
>     the user’s language by default. But when the user selects a
>     feature by tapping or clicking, the name on the local language
>     would also be shown.
>

> Wrong way around.  The sane thing to do is show the local name,
> because that's what I'd be looking for on signage.
> Maybe, if I'm bored, I'd like to know what it means, but I'd have to
> be bored because the chances are very good that
> knowing what it means won't help me in any way.

Paul .. do you read sand script? I don't.
I would like a map that I can set to display either the local or another
language as an option.
That way I can easily read it, and use it. When I need to see it as it
is displayed locally then I'd change the display option.
Either that or learn a to read sand script etc.