[Tagging] maxspeed:type vs source:maxspeed // StreetComplete

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Wed Sep 19 18:24:00 UTC 2018

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 13:54:47 +0200
Tobias Zwick <osm at westnordost.de> wrote:

> This does not present a problem:
>
> > The first set
>
> Well, as you write yourself, they may be authorized to set own speed
> limits, but they need to signpost it.
>
> > The second
>
> So these are the type of regulations I mean with "default speed
> limits".
>
> > The third law
>
> As Martin Koppenhoefer stated on another discussion branch, this kind
> of paragraph in legislation is not specific to the US. All/most
> legislations have a sentence like this - it only differs how a breach
> of this is persecuted. But well, Martin Koppenhoefer and Colin Smale
> already wrote what there is to say about it.

RCW 46.61.405, 46.61.410, and 46.61.415 all require that an engineering
study be performed before setting the speed limit.  Thus, for the vast
majority of roads with signed limits, a highway engineer has determined
that the signed limit is a "reasonable and prudent" speed under
ordinary conditions.

My point is that no such guarantee exists for roads without speed limit
signs.  Yes, the numeric limit for something like Glenwood Road might
be 50 mph, but the road was designed around farm trucks going no more
than 20 mph, and has the tight curves, short sight lines, and poor
surface quality you'd expect for that speed.

--
Mark