[Tagging] maxspeed:type vs source:maxspeed // StreetComplete

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Tue Sep 25 06:09:12 UTC 2018

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 11:24:00AM -0700, Mark Wagner wrote:
> My point is that no such guarantee exists for roads without speed limit
> signs.  Yes, the numeric limit for something like Glenwood Road might
> be 50 mph, but the road was designed around farm trucks going no more
> than 20 mph, and has the tight curves, short sight lines, and poor
> surface quality you'd expect for that speed.

This is true for every country in the world. I live in Germany and we
are allowed to go as fast as we like on the Autobahn - no speed limit
involved at all.

I and all Germans dont assume 1000mph would be safe to drive. Most
German car manufacturers limit their cars to 250km/h or 150mph so thats
a speed you can observe every day.

Sign posted speeds dont are not telling you "this is the speed which is
safe for 100% of the vehicles" but this is the maximum allowed.
You are still required to drive safely.

Flo