[Tagging] maxspeed:type vs source:maxspeed // StreetComplete

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 21:24:02 UTC 2018

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 4:34 PM Tobias Zwick <osm at westnordost.de> wrote:
> 2. US interstate in Montana (US-MT):
>      highway=motorway + source:maxspeed=US-MT:interstate
>    vs
>      highway=motorway + maxspeed:signed=no + ref~^I
>    (maybe ref-starts-with-"I" is not necessary because all interstates
>     are tagged as motorways?)

Not all Interstates *ought* to be tagged as motorways. A case in point
is Interstate 93 in Franconia Notch, New Hampshire, which *ought*
to be a trunk (it's a two-lane road with a centre guard rail that was added
long after the initial construction.)

Many motorways are not Interstates. The local law where I live doesn't
special-case Interstates, but rather uses phrasing like 'multi-lane
grade-separated controlled-access highways'.

But that said, if a piece of legislation says, 'Interstate', then it means
specifically 'Interstate', whether motorway or not, and not other motorways.