[Tagging] Stormwater outlet into stream

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 22:04:10 UTC 2018

Thanks Tijmin & Andrew - name deleted! :-) Thought it should have something
to explain the open space between 2 houses:
https://www.google.com/maps/@-28.0775238,153.4261968,3a,75y,192.84h,72.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spFpy3s9A1cXKkiPow16w2Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656,
but having now read the "No name" policy can see that's wrong. Have also
changed the node & pipeline details.

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 at 17:34, Jonathon Rossi <jono at jonorossi.com> wrote:

> I don't quite understand the way extending to the north in your example
> tagged just man_made=yes and surface=grass, is that the underground pipe
> joining to the rest of the network?

That's it - there's a surface drain & manholes on the street, with the
visible pipe going into the lake, so I marked the pipeline in back to the
street. As above, I've ow changed the tagging so that the pipeline is
marked through the easement, with an outlet at the lake edge.

> Thinking about how this would apply to other waterways I've mapped, I
> currently map the streams or drains that pass under roads which rainwater
> passes through like below, these are quite similar but with a completely
> different tagging scheme.
>
> waterway=drain or stream
> tunnel=culvert
> layer=-1
>
> Do we use waterway=* where it is a naturally occurring stream but humans
> earthfilled the location with a concrete culvert and put a road over the
> top but that is still part of the earth's waterways of the creek system.
> Can't be true because waterway=drain is for man made waterways.

That's the way I've always done it as well! To my mind, a stream running
through a culvert is still a natural waterway that we've put a lid over -
if it was a man-made dug out channel, that would make it a drain.

This tagging also appears valid for a big stormwater drain where you can
> walk into it:
>
> waterway=drain
> tunnel=flooded

I'd *strongly* recommend that you don't try walking into tunnels that are
flooded! - you're going to get very wet & the consequences could be bad :-)

As usual each time I post on the mailing list it opens a can of worms and I
> learn too much about all the different possible tags :).

Welcome to the Club - at least it's not just me! :-)

Thanks

Graeme