[Tagging] Stormwater outlet into stream

Jonathon Rossi jono at jonorossi.com
Wed Sep 19 07:32:54 UTC 2018

Thanks Graeme.

> I did this:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5213660838#map=19/-28.07783/153.42664
> for one stormwater drain nearby.

I don't quite understand the way extending to the north in your example
tagged just man_made=yes and surface=grass, is that the underground pipe
joining to the rest of the network?

Would that work for your purposes?

Regarding the node on the end, yes I think it should work. I always viewed
man_made=pipeline for legit big pressurised pipelines but I can't see any
harm using it for stormwater drains especially that some get really big.

man_made=pipeline
location=underground
substance=rainwater

The wiki page says man_made=pipeline shouldn't be applied to nodes but
there are already nearly 4000 so that can change, or if I have a decent
idea which way the underground pipes go (easy for the big ones) just map a
short way.

Thinking about how this would apply to other waterways I've mapped, I
currently map the streams or drains that pass under roads which rainwater
passes through like below, these are quite similar but with a completely
different tagging scheme.

waterway=drain or stream
tunnel=culvert
layer=-1

Do we use waterway=* where it is a naturally occurring stream but humans
earthfilled the location with a concrete culvert and put a road over the
top but that is still part of the earth's waterways of the creek system.
Can't be true because waterway=drain is for man made waterways.

This tagging also appears valid for a big stormwater drain where you can
walk into it:

waterway=drain
tunnel=flooded
location=underground
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tunnel%3Dflooded)

Unfortunately it doesn't render in any way, so there's nothing showing on
> the map to indicate that there's anything there, until you go into edit
> mode :-(

I'm not too worried about rendering. In the past I've left a note on the
first node because these drain outlets usually can't be seen from aerial
imagery and many times the creek directly where it pours doesn't even look
like a creek from aerial imagery, so the intention was to capture the
information to ensure armchair mappers don't "fix" the creek.

As usual each time I post on the mailing list it opens a can of worms and I
learn too much about all the different possible tags :).