[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Toll Gantry

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 05:28:27 UTC 2018

On 20/09/18 09:26, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
> On 19.09.2018 19:31, Jonathon McClung wrote:
>> The issue is mostly with how the current standard (as stated here
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:barrier%3Dtoll_booth
>> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:barrier=toll_booth>) impacts
>> routing. This is said on the proposal page here "Many current routing
>> softwares add a delay to trip time when encountering the tag barrier
>> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:barrier>=toll_booth
>> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:barrier%3Dtoll_booth>.
>> However, the delay on these more modern toll collection systems is
>> significantly less; not requiring the driver to stop in most cases.
>> In effect, this means that many drivers will be routed onto a slower
>> route.” This is the major difference. Of course the way itself should
>> be tagged toll=yes. This is a clean way to a) show where the toll
>> begins and b) give the routing software something to account for on
>> the way.
>
> First, how much of a delay is added by the routing engines, have you
> investigated this? If so, this would be a few seconds once-per trip,
> not every 500m like a traffic light. Thus the difference on the
> calculated overall travel time would be insignificant.
An old toll both was where I'd have to stop, dig out some money, hand it
over, wait for any change, then I could go on. 30 seconds to 1 minute
unless I drop the money.
I think these are all gone now on highways and bridges. They still exist
and are in use for some National Park entries, possibly some parking
places.

> Second, the problems described would be more easily and more elegantly
> solved with subtagging the existing barrier=toll_booth, instead of
> inventing a new first level tag. Subtagging preserves backward
> compatibility, while a new tag has to be implemented everywhere,

But a toll gantry has no stopping, nor slowing down. A very different
beast, with the ones around here the vehicle is meant to have an
electronic device that the toll thing responds with and the payment is
deducted automatically. If you don't have one of these electronic do
dads then you get a letter .. with a higher fee. Don't know that "toll
both" is how they should be tagged from a human conceptual view point
rather than the practical computing one.