[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Toll Gantry

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Thu Sep 20 11:29:05 UTC 2018

On 20.09.2018 07:28, Warin wrote:
> On 20/09/18 09:26, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
>>
>> First, how much of a delay is added by the routing engines, have you investigated this? If so,
>> this would be a few seconds once-per trip, not every 500m like a traffic light. Thus the
>> difference on the calculated overall travel time would be insignificant.
> An old toll both was where I'd have to stop, dig out some money, hand it over, wait for any change,
> then I could go on. 30 seconds to 1 minute unless I drop the money.
> I think these are all gone now on highways and bridges. They still exist and are in use for some
> National Park entries, possibly some parking places.

It's a while since I have seen them in the US for bridge toll, you would through a couple of
quarters in a funnel-shaped basket, thus a bit faster. But yes, there is a delay, but not so often
on your trip that it has significant impact on your travel time.

The main advantage of free-flow systems is that you have no breaking that causes a congestion behind
you.

>> Second, the problems described would be more easily and more elegantly solved with subtagging the
>> existing barrier=toll_booth, instead of inventing a new first level tag. Subtagging preserves
>> backward compatibility, while a new tag has to be implemented everywhere,
>
> But a toll gantry has no stopping, nor slowing down. A very different beast, with the ones around
> here the vehicle is meant to have an electronic device that the toll thing responds with and the
> payment is deducted automatically. If you don't have one of these electronic do dads then you get a
> letter .. with a higher fee. Don't know that "toll both" is how they should be tagged from a human
> conceptual view point rather than the practical computing one.

All fine, just we don't need a new high-level tag for that. You can add all free-flow properties,
payment methods, average delay times, etc to the existing one. I'm always in favour of some level of
structure instead of blatant duck tagging.

tom