[Tagging] Stormwater outlet into stream

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 05:45:48 UTC 2018

On 20/09/18 11:26, EthnicFood IsGreat wrote:

>> Message: 3
>> Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 17:32:54 +1000
>> From: Jonathon Rossi <jono at jonorossi.com>
>> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
>>     <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
>> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Stormwater outlet into stream
>>
>> Thanks Graeme.
>>

>>> I did this:
>>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5213660838#map=19/-28.07783/153.42664
>>>
>>> for one stormwater drain nearby.
>>>
>> I don't quite understand the way extending to the north in your example
>> tagged just man_made=yes and surface=grass, is that the underground pipe
>> joining to the rest of the network?
>>
>> Would that work for your purposes?
>> Regarding the node on the end, yes I think it should work. I always
>> viewed
>> man_made=pipeline for legit big pressurised pipelines but I can't see
>> any
>> harm using it for stormwater drains especially that some get really big.
>>
>> man_made=pipeline
>> location=underground
>> substance=rainwater
>>
>> The wiki page says man_made=pipeline shouldn't be applied to nodes but
>> there are already nearly 4000 so that can change, or if I have a decent
>> idea which way the underground pipes go (easy for the big ones) just
>> map a
>> short way.
>>
>> Thinking about how this would apply to other waterways I've mapped, I
>> currently map the streams or drains that pass under roads which
>> rainwater
>> passes through like below, these are quite similar but with a completely
>> different tagging scheme.
>>
>> waterway=drain or stream
>> tunnel=culvert
>> layer=-1
>>
>> Do we use waterway=* where it is a naturally occurring stream but humans
>> earthfilled the location with a concrete culvert and put a road over the
>> top but that is still part of the earth's waterways of the creek system.
>> Can't be true because waterway=drain is for man made waterways.
>>
>> This tagging also appears valid for a big stormwater drain where you can
>> walk into it:
>>
>> waterway=drain
>> tunnel=flooded
>> location=underground
>> (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tunnel%3Dflooded)
>>
>> Unfortunately it doesn't render in any way, so there's nothing
>> showing on
>>> the map to indicate that there's anything there, until you go into edit
>>> mode :-(
>>>
>> I'm not too worried about rendering. In the past I've left a note on the
>> first node because these drain outlets usually can't be seen from aerial
>> imagery and many times the creek directly where it pours doesn't even
>> look
>> like a creek from aerial imagery, so the intention was to capture the
>> information to ensure armchair mappers don't "fix" the creek.

> [...]

There are differences between drinking water, storm water and sewer water!
You do not want sewer water discharging directly into a local river,
where as storm water is much more acceptable.
Please don't mix the terms as has been done above, 'storm sewer' is not
a term that should be used.

If a pipeline is pressured or not makes little difference to the pipe.
If you want you can specify the pressure in the pipeline using the tag
pressure=* .. the wiki says to use bar .. so pressure=1 would be about
atmospheric pressure i.e. not pressurised.