[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Toll Gantry

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 14:13:37 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 19. Sep 2018, at 23:23, Jonathon McClung <jonathon at kaartgroup.com> wrote:
>
> The tag barrier=toll_booth is currently not specific. In fact, when it is used in the case of a non-barrier electronic toll gantry, it is misleading.

maybe it is even mistagged? Looking at taginfo I see 64 highway=toll_bridge. According to the longstanding definition for barrier=toll_booth it is „A place where a road usage toll or fee is collected.“

Now „collected“ is not actually true for systems that wirelessly check whether you have paid or not (a subscription), it is only intended for places where you actually pay (or spend your prepaid, even wirelessly).

the barrier key somehow implies either you pay or you don’t pass

> In its relation to routing software there is currently no standard way to tell the routing software that this “toll booth” is not a barrier.

and maybe no booth either? To me highway=toll_bridge seems a good tag, as it is self explanatory and combinable with barrier tags.

cheers,
Martin