[Tagging] How to tag a building constructed for a gastronomic purposes?

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Sun Sep 23 15:13:47 UTC 2018

Building=retail if it is a purpose-built building for selling stuff ( a chain restaurant, a McDonald's, etc), as it is purpose-built for retail.

If it is a rentable location in a mixed use building (shop spaces on the bottom, apartments on the 2nd floor) we have no suitable building tag for them (so =yes).

Very large apartment buildings (15 stories tall) often have shops on the first floor, I would tag that busing as =apartments and pin the shops - it is primarily apartments.

If it is some outdoor pavilion for seating to eat food, building=roof might be good, and small tiny eating areas might even be a picnic shelter. For dedicated outdoor seating of a restaurant, I am unsure how to tag a structure it might have.

A shop/stall/booth/space/unit/location/suite in a larger building is not a mappable building (if it is indoors), a pin suffices. Outdoor stalls made of temporary materials (but left in place permanently) are mappable, but I don't know what as. If it is purpose-built little stalls in a row that never move and are at least permanently present,  building=retiail on the row and pins for the individual shops.

Motorway buildings are usually one large building with many pins for different shops and amenities. I forget if there is a unique building type for motorway services, but I would still probably go with =retail for a large SA on the tollway - it is 95% souvenir shops and fast food.

Javbw