[Tagging] Topographic Prominence for Peaks

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 03:30:43 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018, 9:29 AM Bill Ricker, <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is the OSM primary DB the right repository for this?
> Have we accepted being the repository for everything that anyone wants to
> map?
> (I don't remember hearing a change from "no".)

If people are already mapping whether an amenity=fuel is dispensing a
particular octane of fuel, then mapping topographic prominences is surely
acceptable, especially since prominence is certainly a more geospatial
concept than fuel octanes.

One thing I am quite sure of that is true in OSM is that we (within reason)
don't prevent people mapping the things they are interested in whether they
are peak baggers interested in mountain height stats, pet lovers mapping
dog-friendly amenities inside public parks, or conservationists mapping
species=* for individual notable trees.

But if you insist that this prominence data is out-of-scope for the OSM DB,
then at least consider advocating that these peaks and mountains be tagged
with their corresponding Wikidata items via the wikidata=* tag. Most
Wikidata items on peaks and mountains already have their topographic
prominence encoded as can be seen for this Wikidata item for the Matterhorn
(prominence is 1031m): https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q1374