[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Topographic Prominence

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 00:15:19 UTC 2018

The page for natural=peak lists natural=hill as a tagging error:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural=peak

But https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dhill says:
"Many natural <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:natural>=peak
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dpeak> should probably be
natural <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:natural>=hill, but
differentiating these might be difficult."

This is why we have the Proposal process for new features.
If natural=hill is proposed and accepted, it would certainly be important
to tag hills with prominence.

But if we include prominence and elevation tags on all peaks, database
users can set their own preferred prominence and elevation cut-off to
define peaks.

For example, the South Summit of Mount Everest is higher than any peak in
the world except the main summit of Everest, but it only has 11 meters of
prominence.
So it is usually considered a sub-summit of Everest, rather than an
independent peak.

A database user can request a list of all natural=peak with elevation>600
and prominence>100 (or 200 or 600) to get a list of all mountain peaks.
To find hills, look for natural=peak with elevation<600 and prominence>10
or 50 or whatever?

Joseph