[Tagging] Default Language Format; language:default or default:language?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 01:16:33 UTC 2018

Should we change the tag from language:default to default:language?

I've found out that language:* has already been used in the format
language:de, language:fr, language:en, etc, for the languages taught at a
school. See
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dlanguage_school. And
language=* has been used, though rarely.

There is also a page for default_language, which was made without going
through the proposal process. And there is a new proposal to specify all
"defaults" in the fomat default:subkey, though I have also seen this the
other way around, eg key:default, suggested for maxspeed.

I am not wedded to the current tag "language:default=<code>". Please
respond here (or on the talk page) if you prefer default:language=<code> or
default_language=<code>, or if you prefer the current order.

Proposal:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Default_Language_Format

Talk page:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Default_Language_Format