[Tagging] How to tag a building constructed for a gastronomic purposes?

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 11:12:04 UTC 2018

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 9:21 AM Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27/09/18 00:48, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
>

> building tag is supposed to contain how building is constructed. For example hotel in
> a church is building=church (with hotel tagged as usual).
>
> Former hotel building used as a warehouse is building=hotel.
>

> That was the intention. But many mappers are mapping the function of the building, not the appearance/architecture.
>
> e.g. building=parking, office, commercial, apartments, ... all functional rather than architecture.
> The appearance of these vary widely so mappers tend to identify the use rather than the appearance.

I was once told that it's not only the outside that counts, but also
the inside. It can be very difficult to distinguish an office
building, a hotel, an apartment building, a school or university
building by just looking at the outside.
I'm thinking here of a high block with a lots of window in a
row/column pattern on the long sides.

So if we have to take the inside (or whole structure) into account,
what is the building type when the outside and the inside tell
something different ? Apartments in a church, a fast-food restaurant
behind the facade of a rich merchant's house from 1600, etc. ? On the
outside it might be clearly a church, but once inside you might no
longer see it used to be a church. Is the building a church or an
apartment building ?

If the original purpose counts, will you always be able to determine
it without consulting the original building plans ?

regards

m.

p.s. I'm honestly only looking for answers. I'm fine with your
definition, I just don't know what to pick in some cases