[Tagging] How to tag a building constructed for a gastronomic purposes?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 11:30:05 UTC 2018

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 12:12 PM, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:

> So if we have to take the inside (or whole structure) into account,
> what is the building type when the outside and the inside tell
> something different ? Apartments in a church, a fast-food restaurant
> behind the facade of a rich merchant's house from 1600, etc. ? On the
> outside it might be clearly a church, but once inside you might no
> longer see it used to be a church. Is the building a church or an
> apartment building ?

A discussion along these lines comes to mind: "From the secondary school,
walk west along Arbuthnot Street for about
half a mile until you come to a church.  It's not really a church any more,
it was deconsecrated years ago and is now
a family home, but look for a church."  Would it be more useful to tag it
as building=church or building=house?

Similarly, ask a child to draw a church.  Or a house.  Or even a
supermarket.

That's why I have strong doubts about building=gastronomic (or whatever it
ends up being).  I know what a church looks
like.  Ditto for supermarket, industrial unit, warehouse and house.  I
cannot bring to mind a typical restaurant architecture.

--
Paul