[Tagging] Draft Proposal: Default Langauge Format

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 12:42:00 UTC 2018

> As a Flemish person, I rather have the name of the street pronounced
> in Dutch in Brussels than in the 2 languages as is now the case. This
> is probably one of the complications
> <https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging>

This is especially true because the pronunciation rules for both languages
differ significantly. I have OsmAND set to English and it manages to
pronounce both languages wrong... But the same would be true when setting
it to either nl or fr. It would be better to only use name:nl or name:fr
instead of name for Brussels. But that is something to solve in OsmAND.

When I'm looking at the map, I prefer to see both names though, as they are
now. So I totally agree with Paul Allen's message. It depends on the use
one wants to make of the data.

Ideally we know what language the name tag is in and even more ideally we
would have IPA transliterations for those cases added to the DB where
automated text to speech consistently gets it wrong. Of course that has its
own problems, as not everyone pronounces words or names the same way.

Polyglot