[Tagging] Tagging a named river bend

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 13:24:05 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 27. Sep 2018, at 12:10, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'd use
> place=locality
> name=*

I don’t oppose this, but I feel it would be time to introduce an additional tag for localities that states which kind of toponym it is (where it comes from or what is refers to), e.g
locality=*

Current usage of this tag is practically restricted to 2 values, townland and subtownland
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/locality#values

we could introduce values like river_part or waterway_section (I’d prefer the former because the word river already gives a slight indication about the importance as opposed to ‘waterway’ which includes ditches).

the wiki discourages locality on a way though: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Aplace%3Dlocality

Not sure if this should be changed or we should introduce a new tag like place=river_part (or similar) or waterway=section etc.

Cheers,
Martin