[Tagging] Tagging a named river bend

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 01:27:36 UTC 2018

Oh, I see. I was thinking about use on a node only, where this would not be
a problem. Place=* tags are usually used on nodes, perhaps on areas
(controverially) but not on ways.

This reminds me of the problem with naming mountain ranges and ridges.
Right now we can name part of an individual ridge or a peak, but for
“mountain_range” you can only draw a node, or if you draw a way it will
duplicate the ways used for ridges.

Waterways allow use of a relation to hold the name and characteristics of
the whole river or canal, and shorter ways for parts of the river, but
there isn’t a way to yet to tag a particular point or short part of a
river. It’s like we have mountain_range relations and ways but no
natural=ridge or =peak or saddle tags