[Tagging] Tagging a named river bend

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 13:54:32 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 28. Sep 2018, at 02:39, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I keep coming back to Martin's place=river_bend. Adding a name=Harper Bend along with that tag would solve the problem in a straightforward manner, would not be confused with the specialized whitewater tagging schemes and would be relatively easy to implement. A look at Taginfo tells me that the "place"  key has been misused quite a bit but I think place=river_bend would be a logical and easily understood new use of the key.

this works best if you want to focus on the fact it is a bend. If we want something more generic like “section” that could maybe even be applied to named sections of other linear features like city walls / walls, etc.

I would not discard the idea of using some kind of relation for this (type=route is not suitable, or is it?). It is the most flexible way to tag as it allows for overlapping entities and avoids duplication of ways. If overlapping is not required, an additional property like xxx_name does it (according to what is xxx, an additional place or waterway or other classifying tag would be helpful).

Cheers,
Martin