[Tagging] Tagging a named river bend

Tobias Wrede list at tobias-wrede.de
Fri Sep 28 08:07:19 UTC 2018

Am 28.09.2018 um 03:06 schrieb Dave Swarthout:
> @Joseph - I wanted to avoid using that particular top-level tag,
> waterway, because there would be no simple way to add a name different
> from that of the waterway=river itself. Unless we invent a new tag
> something like name:bend=Harper Bend.
>
> The key "natural" is so weighted with controversy already, I'd prefer
> not to use that one either. But I'm not opposed if we can all agree on
> its use here.
>
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 7:54 AM Joseph Eisenberg
> <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com <mailto:joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     [...]
>     Another option would be natural=bend or natural=river_bend, because
>     natural=* is used for all sorts of geographic features in the natural
>     landscape, including water features like bays, straights, etc.
>
>     Joseph

Natural=* might be controversial. But in my opinion a river bend is very
similar to a bay, strait, fjord etc. These are all parts of a bigger
water body with diffuse boarders. I'd like to keep in line with those
established taggings. It could be natural=river_section, which could
serve for bends, straights, widenings, narrowings, pits in the river
bed, etc., or more specific natural=river_bend.

Having that said, I admit that would we not already have those key/value
pairs I might rather go for something better indicating we are talking
about something water related.

Tobi