[Tagging] mast / tower / communication_tower (again)

SelfishSeahorse selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 12:39:12 UTC 2018

On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 at 03:13, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dmast says that
>
> "In structural engineering, mast is a vertical structure, supported by external guys and anchors.
>
> This is the only existing definite feature that could be used to differentiate masts and towers."
>
> but then shows an photo example of a "mast" with no guys.

Thanks for pointing to that definition -- i wasn't aware of it. The
confusion on the wiki seems to come from the fact that 'the terms
"mast" and "tower" are often used interchangeably', as noted on
Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_masts_and_towers#Mast_or_tower?

That is, we have two contradictory definitions on the wiki: the
engineering definition according to which a tower is freestanding and
mast guyed, and the other definition according to which 'a tower is
accessible and provides platforms, whereas a mast only offers ladder
steps to climb it'. (Where does this latter definition come from?)

To solve the contradiction we need to get rid of one of the two definitions.

Regards
Markus