[Tagging] Tagging shared campuses: landuse=school?

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Thu Apr 4 14:26:24 UTC 2019

Hi Jeroen,

On Thu, Apr 04, 2019 at 04:11:19PM +0200, Jeroen Hoek wrote:
> On 04-04-19 15:41, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> > Schools have forever been landuse=residential as schools belong to
> > residential areas.
>
> This is not always the case, especially in cases where schools share a
> common campus.

No - Amenity and landuse intermix - Basically for me an amenity is
always within a landuse. A landuse is a more general distinction
of rough land usage whereas amenity is a concrete thing.

Shifting an amenity into landuses confuses these two object classes, a rough
classification of land usage, and a very distinct thing.

> This proposal also co-opts existing tags rather than creating new one.
> Does that assuage your concern for landuse=confusion?

I still stand by my opposition.

And while looking through the wiki history of
landuse/landuse=residential and amenity=school i found this:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:residential%3Duniversity

Which is another issue like this.

I'd like to have a very clear hierarchy in which objects exist which
makes validation a lot easier.

Flo