[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Grain Storage Centre

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 16:10:25 UTC 2019

On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 at 16:51, Cédric Mélac <cmelac007 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, this is exactly that ! I didn't know how it was called in English.
> Thank you a lot for your fast answer ! I think I should change the tag
> name for "industrial=grain_elevator" according to the English Wikipedia
> page :

What is meant by "grain elevator" depends which flavour of English you
speak, according to
that Wikipedia page.

In Australia, it is just the lifting mechanism and tower containing it,
whilst the individual
grain containers are silos or wheat bins or receival points.  In Canada it
can be a place where
grain is sold into the global distribution system.  In the US it can mean
the lifting mechanism
or the whole storage facility consisting of many silos.  I can't find what
it means in British
English.  However, OSM generally uses British English.

I'd suggest industrial=grain_storage (no need for the centre) as being
unambiguous in most
dialects of English.  Unless somebody knows what these things are called in
the UK.  But
a quick google search seems to show that "grain storage" is used by some of
them.

--
Paul