[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Grain Storage Centre

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Fri Apr 5 18:40:09 UTC 2019

On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 16:38:56 +0000
Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

> On Friday, 5 April 2019, Richard Welty wrote:
> > On 4/5/19 11:19 AM, Cédric Mélac wrote:
> > > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Grain_Storage_Centre
> > > Defintion: A large site with many silos and barns which
> > > concentrates crops from farms around before selling at best
> > > prices.
> >
> > these are commonly called Elevators in the US. i don't know what
> > british usage is.
>
> British usage is silo.
>
> They are in my experience, I live in a rural area, found on
> individual farms rather than in any facility. Farms will tend to
> store grain themselves.
>
> Farming around here, certainly arable, is on an industrial scale. I
> imagine these are associated with  co-operatives and relatively small
> farms.

American English grain elevator:
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.7591426,-118.5290499,3a,74.6y,153.92h,101.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSQUMNc9VimuAS_gMyyJmog!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1

American English silo (a small one, and probably not used for storing
grain. Places that have standalone silos tend not to be places that
have Google StreetView):
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.0046952,-117.3503996,3a,28.2y,217.27h,89.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sthnyTWcsvnaxCW6uM7Xe_w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

--
Mark