[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Grain Storage Centre

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 23:12:40 UTC 2019

On 06/04/19 03:38, Philip Barnes wrote:
> On Friday, 5 April 2019, Richard Welty wrote:
>> On 4/5/19 11:19 AM, Cédric Mélac wrote:
>>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Grain_Storage_Centre
>>> Defintion: A large site with many silos and barns which concentrates
>>> crops from farms around before selling at best prices.
>> these are commonly called Elevators in the US. i don't know what british
>> usage is.
> British usage is silo.
>
> They are in my experience, I live in a rural area, found on individual farms rather than in any facility. Farms will tend to store grain themselves.
>
> Farming around here, certainly arable, is on an industrial scale. I imagine these are associated with  co-operatives and relatively small farms.
>
> But to be sure next time I have a pint with a farmer I will ask the question.

For me the 'elevator' is only the mechanism that raises the grain to a height were it is feed into the silo.
The commercial sites in Australia have a weigh bridge and incoming grain is assessed for moisture and contaminates before being accepted ..
if too moist it is refused.. if it is close they go park in the sun to dry for a few hours...
the weigh bridge is used to asses the amount of grain. So there is more than an elevator/silos ...
The big ones are off farm usually located on a train line for transport.
A recent development is painting the outside of the silos...
https://www.visitvictoria.com/regions/grampians/things-to-do/art-theatre-and-culture/silo-art-trail

The whole area ? .. well landuse is what I'd use. lauduse=agricultural?