[Tagging] Residential=rural, =urban?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 09:04:00 UTC 2019

On 10/04/19 18:28, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> There is a page for residential=rural created in July 2015 without a
> proposal. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:residential%3Drural&action=history
>
> The page says: "residential=rural is a subtag of landuse=residential
> and is used to specify residential areas with low-rise residential
> buildings (buildings with tag building=house). It is usual for each
> house has its own fenced allotment with yard and/or garden."
>
> This is not what "rural" means in most dialects of English. Since the
> tag had already been used 120,000 times as of July 2015 (see
> https://taghistory.raifer.tech), without documentation, I wonder if
> the wiki definition was based on current usage or not.

Not good.

> The definition at Key:residential is also different. This page is
> older, but the definitions are more recent:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:residential
>
> This probably implies single family homes in many places, but in
> others the distinction is more about a village or hamlet as opposed to
> a big city.
>
> Similarly, residential=urban (from the same wiki user) says:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Aresidential%3Durban
>
> "residential=urban is a subtag of landuse=residential and is used to
> specify residential areas with multistory residential buildings
> (buildings with tag building=apartments). ..."

Possibly some better values would see these migrate (by deprecation) to something better?

residential=hi_rise (say >3 story?)

residential=medium_density (>1 story, <4 story?)

residential=low_density (<2 story?)

residential=very_low_density (<2 story and on large blocks of land???)

These my well be local things made by non expert english speakers,
nothing wrong with that but where it is going to be used else where then some wide and differing views would be advised.