[Tagging] Feature Proposal -- RFC -- Landcover Cultivated

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Wed Apr 10 20:40:18 UTC 2019

On Wednesday 10 April 2019, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> [...]
>
> But in this case I am even more confused - with low quality images
> how one is supposed to distinguish forest from orchards/plantations?

Indeed.

I don't see a lot of practical cases where you can reliably distinguish
between cultivated and non-cultivated, between artificial and
non-artificial but cannot make a more specific characterization
according to the tagging system we have.

For naturally unvegetated areas we currently have a somewhat incomplete
set of established tags, mostly because the vast majority of mappers
live in regions where these are rare.  But the way to address this is
to develop tags for specific features and not a general 'barren areas'
tag that encompasses also several specific and well established tags we
already have.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/