[Tagging] golf_cart=permit? | Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - Key:golf_cart

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 13:03:16 UTC 2019

On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 at 13:41, Rory McCann <rory at technomancy.org> wrote:

> On 10/04/2019 14:28, Paul Allen wrote:
> > You may want to take Peachtree City, Georgia into account in your
> > proposal.  It has an alternative transportation network of golf cart
> > paths.  People must obtain and display permits on their carts to use
> > the paths.  Accordingly, somebody has tagged several footpaths there
> > with golf_cart=permissive.
> I thought "*=permissive" meant: "You have no legal right use that on
> this road/path/etc, someone else 'owns'/controls it. However they allow
> anyone to use it by default, but they reserve the right to kick you
> out/off for any reason." And that doesn't sound like what you describe.

You are absolutely correct.  However, access=permit was only agreed upon in
the last
couple of months whereas those tags were added prior to that approval and
access=permissive was the best fit back then.  I should have made it
clearer I was
describing what had been tagged and not endorsing what had been done.
Actually,
I only remembered access=permit after I'd sent that mail.

It seems like this permit system gives someone a (temporary) _right_ to
> drive their golf cart along those paths. I think `golf_cart=permit` is
> more accurate here.

I'd agree with you there.  Certainly if I were mapping it now I'd use
access=permit.  I'd
hesitate to change the existing tags without first contacting the original
mapper.  Which I shall
leave to somebody else who feels like taking on that particular exercise.

--
Paul