[Tagging] Residential=rural, =urban?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 22:41:02 UTC 2019

On 11/04/19 19:06, Ilya Zverev wrote:
> You are mostly correct, =rural is for quarter areas (that are bonded by streets and have no streets inside) that contain mostly one- or two-level houses, and =urban is for bigger (~4-5 levels), usually detached apartment buildings. The value of the tag is mostly used to assume height of buildings and in population density calculations. In high-rise areas and inner city blocks, buildings usually have more detailed tagging, that includes their height, type and possibly even number of entrances. These areas should also have residential=urban on their landuse.
> The value is easy to determine from aerial imagery, so it allows for better area markup without surveying each building’s parameters.

I am afraid the average English speaker will simply tag areas that are in the country side with =rural and those in cities as =urban.

Much better to use words that say what you are mapping? residential:density=high/medium/low ???

In this way it can be adapted for local conditions ...
Asia has high density but single story dwellings with each of very small area and adjacent to the next dwelling.

Estimated number of people living per unit area? Base it on the number of dwellings and number of people per dwelling.

Then in the country country guides have estimations from people living per unit area, residential:density=values, to the heights of buildings that are typical there.

More information about the Tagging mailing list