[Tagging] Residential=rural, =urban?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 04:58:39 UTC 2019

On 12/04/19 19:02, Ilya Zverev wrote:
> I agree the naming is a bit off, since in Russia it is common to have buildings in medium-sized cities “sorted” by height from outskits towards the center :)
>
> The only criteria is a number of families living in a building, actual height does not matter. One or two — this is “=rural”, more — “=urban”. Density does not matter as well: one building is as good as 100. So yes, in the US and asian countries you can have residential=rural in city centers.
>
> I doubt retagging all these 200k keys would be a good practice, since some data analysts in Russia and Belarus rely on these values for calculating population density.
>
> Ilya

From

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Any_tags_you_like#Documenting_tags_not_in_Map_Features

Just be prepared that someone else might later propose a different and more structured scheme for documenting

Comparing these values way in which they are used to the English meaning of the words makes a nonsense of them.
I think they are prime examples of requiring a retag into a more sensible tagging scheme.

While it is regrettable for all, it does suggest that the originator of the tags should have sought some help with the tagging.