[Tagging] What is the role of "role=guidepost"

ajt1047 at gmail.com ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 09:08:25 UTC 2019

On 13/04/2019 09:52, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> I have only now detected this (optional?) role value in route relations.
> What's the purpose of this?
> Or put in other words: I have a node tagged with
> "information=guidepost". What is the difference between inserting it
> in a route relation with or without "role=guidepost"

Without a role you have no idea how a guidepost or route_marker relates
to the route as a whole.  Does it tell you how to go to the next bit?
Is it the start or the finish?  Is it something else?  Also, it's
possible for one guidepost or route_marker to have different roles
within different routes.

Here's one locally that I've tried to annotate with roles:

(see https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=marker#roles for the
usage of those tags, or lack of them).

I suspect that "role=guidepost" is someone doing the same thing, but
only for guideposts.

Best Regards,

Andy