[Tagging] Requiring area=yes with barrier=wall, barrier=hedge and other usually linear features when mapped as an area`1

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Sat Apr 13 09:41:39 UTC 2019

Hedges are normally linear feature and being a rambler in rural Shropshire I map a lot of them.

It is quite common to map a hedge as a closed way around a field with barrier nodes for gates and stiles. Without an area tag I would assume this norm, it is how very  many are mapped.

Sometimes a hedge can be thick, and have two stiles/gates at each side, with maybe a stream and a footbridge inside. I add area=yes to these.

The rendering as it stands works fine, changing this would break a lot of existing mapping. Please leave it alone.

Phil (trigpoint)

On Saturday, 13 April 2019, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> Question: Will mappers understand if adding or taking away "area=yes"
> from a closed way changes the rendering?
>
> Background: Right now the wiki pages for barrier=wall and
> barrier=hedge allow these features to be mapped as an area, but the
> closed way is supposed to have the tag "area=yes" added to make it
> clear that this is an area, rather than a linear feature that happens
> to be in a circle. This is also the case for a number of other
> features that are usually mapped as lines but can also be mapped as
> areas, eg piste:type=downhill, piste:type=nordic.
>
> Currently the ID editor is supposed to always add the tag "area=yes"
> to features that can be mapped as an area or a line when the user
> selects the type area while mapping. (I'm not sure if JOSM is as
> consistent about recommending this or checking during validation).
>
> Example: I'm considering using the tag "area=yes" to check if a
> barrier should be rendered as an area. Right now "barrier=hedge" is
> rendered as an area in the Openstreetmap-carto if it is imported as a
> polygon. This happens for all closed ways that are tagged "area=yes",
> but it also happens if the closed way is tagged with both
> "barrier=hedge" and "landuse" or "natural" or "amenity", because these
> keys are normally imported as areas.
>
> It's not ideal to map 2 different features using the same way, but it
> happens commonly.
>
> So we could fix some rendering mistakes by checking for the presence
> of "area=yes", and only render the fill color for hedges if there is
> an "area=yes" tag. This could also work for things like
> "barrier=wall".
>
> Do you think that mappers will be able to figure out the problem if
> the rendering changes when adding or removing area=yes?
>
> Will validators in JOSM and other editors be able to point out a
> problem if a closed way is tagged with both "area=yes",
> "barrier=hedge" and "landuse=meadow"?

Sent from my Sailfish device