[Tagging] Was barrier=jersey_barrier approved in a proposal?

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 09:07:28 UTC 2019

>From Wikipedia:

Jersey barriers were developed in the 1950s, beginning in the U.S. state of New
Jersey <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey> as separators between
lanes of a highway. Over time, they grew taller (as their effectiveness was
demonstrated) and became more modular (as their usefulness as temporary
barriers became apparent). Taller barriers have the added advantage of
blocking most oncoming headlights.

So it has an American heritage. Seeing as it's a widely used term in OSM,
I'd say it's a small payback for forcing us to use the English spelling of
things like centre and neighbourhood.  LOL

Dave

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 3:57 AM Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
> On 14. Apr 2019, at 04:43, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I want to know so that the wiki page can be edited to show the correct
> status: approved vs in use.
>

> I went back into the archives and it seems it was included and approved in
> my more barrier types proposal 2011:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Proposed_features/New_barrier_types&oldid=684703
> Not sure where the tag name for jersey barriers came from, probably from
> tagging ml discussion (it is not a word I have in my vocabulary)
>
> Cheers, Martin

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand