[Tagging] Subtag for place=locality?

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 17:14:28 UTC 2019

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 12:49 PM Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

> A side remark. Triggered by comparing abandoned palces with abandoned
> railways (and smilar),
> a ghost town with (some) buidlings still standing should be abandoned: ...
> a ghost town without trace on the ground should be tagged with razed: ...
> or dismantled: ... , but not with abandoned: ...
> Example: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/150938807
> This is a former town, of which you do no see any trace on the ground any
> more (apart from a few racks)

I thought that the commoner lifecycle prefix was 'demolished' ?

I use 'disused' if the buildings are relatively well preserved and might be
rehabbed, 'abandoned' if they're ruined, 'demolished' if the buildings are
not standing but the settlement is still observable. Most of the ghost
settlements that I've visited have clearly visible building foundations,
stone walls separating fields, and road grades (which may be grown to
trees, but are still obviously artificially graded) and are thus
'demolished.' (The ones on State land have likely had their buildings burnt
to discourage squatters.) Theymay also have formations like tannery vats,
mine shafts, mill races or cellar holes.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/8690778427 is typical of 'demolished' -
the road has mature trees standing in it and is not passable for any
distance by anything on wheels, but the fact that the area was once a
settlement is obvious. (I've found the remains of a mill, a tannery, and a
forge in that former settlement, but have not been able to discover even
its name.)