[Tagging] documenting cycleway=crossing

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Tue Apr 16 06:21:18 UTC 2019

> highway=cycleway cycleway=crossing

I have been mapping more and more cycleways here in Japan, and there is a true need for cycleway=crossing.

Unlike some other countries where the cycleway is more akin to a road, cycleways here in Japan are often treated like footpaths, and dead-end into sidewalks and use pedestrian crosswalks for crossing roads. I have no problem using relation links to incluse non-cycleway ways into a larger cyclepath replation, but often times a cyclepath crosses a road and there is heavily painted markings, such as a zebra crossing.

there are ~12,000 uses of cycleway=crossing  on ways according to taginfo, but no documentation for the tag.

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/cycleway=crossing <https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/cycleway=crossing>

I understand that in some places the mental model of using a crossing for something that feels like a “road” is absurd, but for paths that are forced to use crosswalks and various pedestrian traffic control features, we need to document and codify the cycleway=crossing tag. when you use a zebra crossing to cross a road, not marking that as a “crossing” of some type feels wrong.

Javbw