[Tagging] documenting cycleway=crossing

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Apr 16 09:56:12 UTC 2019

Apr 16, 2019, 8:21 AM by tagging at openstreetmap.org:

>> highway=cycleway cycleway=crossing
>>

> I have been mapping more and more cycleways here in Japan, and there is a true need for cycleway=crossing.
>
> Unlike some other countries where the cycleway is more akin to a road, cycleways here in Japan are often treated like footpaths, and dead-end into sidewalks and use pedestrian crosswalks for crossing roads. I have no problem using relation links to incluse non-cycleway ways into a larger cyclepath replation, but often times a cyclepath crosses a road and there is heavily painted markings, such as a zebra crossing.

It is the same situation as in Poland. I am using highway=crossing bicycle=yes
(and highway=crossing bicycle=no for cases where cycleway crosses road and cyclist is legally
obligated to dismount and cross as a pedestrian)

> there are ~12,000 uses of cycleway=crossing  on ways according to taginfo, but no documentation for the tag.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:cycleway%3Dcrossing&redirect=no <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:cycleway%3Dcrossing&redirect=no>
redirects to https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:footway%3Dcrossing <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:footway%3Dcrossingthat> that has some
documentation.

See also "footway=crossing and cycleway=crossing are sometimes used on ways which lead
from a sidewalk to the crossing node (The node which has this highway=crossing tag) "
at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dcrossing <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dcrossing> - see
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?search=cycleway%3Dcrossing
I found it by searching cycleway=crossing at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?search <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?search>