[Tagging] Tag for a plateau or tableland?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 18:31:17 UTC 2019

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 at 19:11, Mark Wagner <mark+osm at carnildo.com> wrote:

> I don't think there's an English English term for them -- England
> barely has any topographical relief at all.  They even had to import
> "mountain" from the French.

The UK does have some topographical relief but not any plateaus that I can
think of.  However,
we Brits are familiar with the word - we stole various parts of the world
from indigenous
inhabitants which had that sort of topography.

Unless there's something I'm missing, we're going to need to pick an
> English import
> from one of the countries that does have plateaus, mesas, or buttes.

We may have to use all of those words.  From looking at the three relevant
articles on
Wikipedia, it appears that mesas are larger than buttes and plateaus are
larger than mesas.
Tableland is a synonym of plateau.  I'd say natural=plateau/mesa/butte.
But I expect there will
be many people who disagree with that - there are as many opinions on this
list as there
are subscribers.

--
Paul