[Tagging] Tag for a plateau or tableland?

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Wed Apr 17 18:09:47 UTC 2019

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 09:44:33 +0200
Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
> > On 17. Apr 2019, at 06:55, Joseph Eisenberg
> > <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I searched taginfo for "tableland", "table_land", "table-land",
> > "plateau" and "mesa".
> >
> > There are 94 natural=plateau and 3 natural=mesa.
> > I found no uses of natural=table or table_land or tableland or
> > tableland
>

> there are also 52 natural=plain and no *=high_plain nor * table_mount
> or flat-top_mount
>
> Would you see a tableland different from table_mount or synonymous?
> After all these are different words.
>
> Maybe there is overlap?
>
> Generally I would prefer to use an English English term, rather than
> a Spanish or French English term.

I don't think there's an English English term for them -- England
barely has any topographical relief at all.  They even had to import
"mountain" from the French.  Unless there's something I'm missing,
we're going to need to pick an English import from one of the countries
that does have plateaus, mesas, or buttes.

--
Mark