[Tagging] Stop the large feature madness

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 01:00:23 UTC 2019

On 18/04/19 00:02, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 April 2019, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
>> I believe many people are using natural=peak to add the name of
>> plateaus / mesas / tablelands.
> Yes, that is definitely the case for buttes and small mesas - but then
> again these are features that can be verifiably mapped based on local
> knowledge.  However using a generic natural=plateau tag which is then
> inevitably used by some mappers to cargo cult polygons around just
> about any area of land elevated in some way relative to its surrounding
> is not a good idea.

There are also 'points' and 'heads' to name a few other landforms missing in OSM.

To say that they should not be mapped is to deny there existence.
It is not unusual to look for these things .. OSM failure to map them leads to other sources being used.

If large features are not to be mapped in OSM then most countries will have to be removed. :P