[Tagging] Tag for a plateau or tableland?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 22:12:31 UTC 2019

Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 7:.

> I was wondering about leaving them all under peak?
>
> natural=peak
> peak=hill/mountain/plateau/butte/mesa
>
> Would that work?

A peak is well defined as the local high point. A Mesa or butte will always
have at least one peak, but the peak may be in one corner, which could be
several kilometers from the center of a mesa, and a Mesa might have a dozen
different peaks around it.

Similarly, one named natural=ridge can have a dozen peaks, sometime with
different names.

Those Australian geological definitions are good, and match the American
ones that I found. A Mesa and Butte are both bordered by an escarpment
(cliff), while a “plateau” can also just be an elevated level area without
cliffs.

Since buttes are small they can usually be tagged just as a peak, but mesas
need a tag for the center of the area.