[Tagging] Why should we avoid overusage of amenity=* tag?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 15:22:52 UTC 2019

On Sun, 21 Apr 2019 at 15:52, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> In villages and neighborhoods of smaller towns, the school is often
> the largest or only public place.

No argument here.

In Central and South America, the public school is also often the
> place where voting takes place for elections,

Also in the UK.

community meetings happen, and cultural events take place.

Also in the UK.

However, is the fact that a school is used for voting once every four years
more important
than that is is a place of education?  Is the fact that a school holds a
community event once
a month more important than that it is a place of eduction?

Shouldn't we be tagging the primary use?  A village hall might be built
that is then used for
voting and community events, but the school remains a school (until
budgetary cuts force its
closure).  A school is primarily an educational establishment and only
secondarily something
else.

--
Paul