[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Baby changing table

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 07:00:30 UTC 2019

On 22/04/19 09:49, marc marc wrote:
> Le 22.04.19 à 00:39, Paul Allen a écrit :
>> On Sun, 21 Apr 2019 at 22:56, marc marc wrote:
>>
>>      however I wonder if it's useful to promote changing_table:height
>>      is there really any use for this tag ?
>>
>> A parent in a wheelchair might find that useful information,
> if the goal is to talk about accessibility, then use the wheelchair tag.
> but if by measuring the height of the table, you think you have done
> what it's need to inform accessibility, you are wrong, this detail is
> almost anecdotal in accessibility. the entrance of the poi must be
> accessible, at least one path need to be accessible from the entrance to
> the changing table (including door and corridor).

Think the door has to be some 900mm wide and so on.

>   and if the height of
> the table then fits, a lot of tilting changing table are inaccessible
> because the lock is often too high even if the table height is very low.
> that's why I think promoting changing_table:height is a bad idea,
> the contributor thinks he has entered useful information but it's not.
> let's keep it simple, if one day someone see an accessible changing
> table, add the tag wheelchair=yes
> for all the others, no need to have a meter in your pocket,
> it's wheelchair=no, no need to fill heigh=1 or 1.05 or .95 except for 3D

Not just the height of the table, but also to be able to push the wheelchair at least partially under the table reduces arm strain a lot.
And wheelchair users probably want the table at a lower height than 1.1 metres.

>>      same thing for the description key, I can't imagine when it's useful to
>>      describe the table with words so I find it not very useful to promote it
>>
>> Description is a standard tag applicable
> I know the tag description, thanks :)
> the question is "can we expect to have changing tables on a regular
> basis that are different from what we can expect with other tags,
> which would justify encouraging people to put a description ?
> because if it is to inform the existence of a tag, we can edit
> the whole wiki to say that the description tag exists,
> which would increase the background noise without any added value.
>
>>      I also ask where a changing_table:access=private or =no may be usefull
>>      I think the reasoning used for toilets should also apply to equipment
>>      such as a changing_table: if it is totally private, such as the
>>      changing
>>      table in your home bathroom, it is not necessary to add in osm.
>>

>> Some people may feel uncomfortable changing their baby in public view.
> access=* don't said anything about public view.
> changing tables in a private area does not mean that your child
> is protected from a public view (I know a changing table in
> the private part of the maternity just in front of a windows
> with a public corridor)
> a changing table in a public toilet can be in a room that
> is respectful of privacy.
> if you want to inform this kind of info, it's probably better
> to make another proposal for another key in stead of promoting
> to hijack the access key to talk about public view when using
> the feature.

There are a few toilets with very nice views...