[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Baby changing table

bkil bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 10:29:28 UTC 2019


height=* was my fault, but I don't feel strongly about it, you may remove
it then. "straps" and "tilting" could still go under the list of
*:feature=*, though, that's a good idea.

toilet vs. room vs. dedicated_room:
How do you map a changing table that is found inside a small "toilets"
corridor/area behind closed doors but before entering the door for a
specific gender's toilet?

access=private
I always remind others to focus on points of _public_ interest when they
are working on extending our public map. This is the same reason we don't
map all Wi-Fi, even if they are completely open to the public, but operated
by a home owner who is otherwise not a point of interest.

Although, verifying whether wi-fi still works would be straight forward
(could even be automated using an app) and you might also see the mapped
private statue through the window or one residing on the front yard,
mapping private water taps are not verifiable for example, as it is not
realistic that dozens of passer by mappers will ring the doorbell every day
to double check whether the tap is still operable.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 9:02 AM Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22/04/19 09:49, marc marc wrote:
> > Le 22.04.19 à 00:39, Paul Allen a écrit :
> >> On Sun, 21 Apr 2019 at 22:56, marc marc wrote:
> >>
> >>      however I wonder if it's useful to promote changing_table:height
> >>      is there really any use for this tag ?
> >>
> >> A parent in a wheelchair might find that useful information,
> > if the goal is to talk about accessibility, then use the wheelchair tag.
> > but if by measuring the height of the table, you think you have done
> > what it's need to inform accessibility, you are wrong, this detail is
> > almost anecdotal in accessibility. the entrance of the poi must be
> > accessible, at least one path need to be accessible from the entrance to
> > the changing table (including door and corridor).
>
> Think the door has to be some 900mm wide and so on.
>
> >   and if the height of
> > the table then fits, a lot of tilting changing table are inaccessible
> > because the lock is often too high even if the table height is very low.
> > that's why I think promoting changing_table:height is a bad idea,
> > the contributor thinks he has entered useful information but it's not.
> > let's keep it simple, if one day someone see an accessible changing
> > table, add the tag wheelchair=yes
> > for all the others, no need to have a meter in your pocket,
> > it's wheelchair=no, no need to fill heigh=1 or 1.05 or .95 except for 3D
>
> Not just the height of the table, but also to be able to push the
> wheelchair at least partially under the table reduces arm strain a lot.
> And wheelchair users probably want the table at a lower height than 1.1
> metres.
>
> >
> >>      same thing for the description key, I can't imagine when it's
> useful to
> >>      describe the table with words so I find it not very useful to
> promote it
> >>
> >> Description is a standard tag applicable
> > I know the tag description, thanks :)
> > the question is "can we expect to have changing tables on a regular
> > basis that are different from what we can expect with other tags,
> > which would justify encouraging people to put a description ?
> > because if it is to inform the existence of a tag, we can edit
> > the whole wiki to say that the description tag exists,
> > which would increase the background noise without any added value.
> >
> >>      I also ask where a changing_table:access=private or =no may be
> usefull
> >>      I think the reasoning used for toilets should also apply to
> equipment
> >>      such as a changing_table: if it is totally private, such as the
> >>      changing
> >>      table in your home bathroom, it is not necessary to add in osm.
> >>
> >>
> >> Some people may feel uncomfortable changing their baby in public view.
> > access=* don't said anything about public view.
> > changing tables in a private area does not mean that your child
> > is protected from a public view (I know a changing table in
> > the private part of the maternity just in front of a windows
> > with a public corridor)
> > a changing table in a public toilet can be in a room that
> > is respectful of privacy.
> > if you want to inform this kind of info, it's probably better
> > to make another proposal for another key in stead of promoting
> > to hijack the access key to talk about public view when using
> > the feature.
>
> There are a few toilets with very nice views...
>
> >
> >>      changing_table:location=dedicated_room
> >>      if the purpose is to change the key diaper=room to diaper=yes +
> >>      location=dedicated_room I think this value is an too precise
> >>      assumption
> >> If you never encountered a changing table in a dedicated room
> >> then don't map it as such.
> > that's not what I said.
> > what I'm saying is : diaper=room doesn't have the same meaning
> > as changing_table:location=dedicated_room
> > if the proposal wants to change one by the other, that's not true.
> > so at least changing_table:location=room is needed to be able to
> > convert existing information without making any erroneous assumption.
> > Of course, i didn't disagree to use dedicated_room when it's
> > a dedicated_room :)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Marc
> > _______________________________________________
> > Tagging mailing list
> > Tagging at openstreetmap.org
> > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Tagging mailing list
> Tagging at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20190422/e2a0e7e7/attachment.html>


More information about the Tagging mailing list