[Tagging] Why should we avoid overusage of amenity=* tag?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 21:49:35 UTC 2019

On 26/04/19 04:10, Philip Barnes wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24 April 2019, Warin wrote:

>>> True.
>>>
>>> The one that irks me is amenity=cafe. It isn't there for the benefit
>>> of the community; it is a commercial enterprise & should be tagged as
>>> a shop.
>> +1
>>
>> The same can be said for a pub, restaurant, etc.
>>    They are all  commercial enterprises, if they did not make money they
>> would not exist.
>>    There 'service' to the community is there to help them make money.
>>
> Although one of the descriptions that an estate agent will use when describing a property is close to the amenities. The big 4 Ps that are used to describe the amenities that make a village sustainable are Primary School, Parish Church, Post Office and Pub.

Bank, Supermarket, Post Office, Doctor, garage and pub. ... Church? Not a frequent requirement.

> Once any go, then the community is dieing. The pub is a major amenity, that is why communities will club together to operate and keep the pub open.
>
> So it may be a business, but it is also one of the prime amenities.

The supermarket is also a sign of a healthy community. Once the last one of them goes it is all down hill from there.
Communities have drawn together to keep a bank, a supermarket and a garage going locally. They have also drawn together to keep a doctor.
They don't draw together for a church.