[Tagging] free_standing_emergency_department, amenity or clinic ?

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Tue Apr 30 15:55:06 UTC 2019

On 4/29/2019 4:47 PM, Nita Rae Sanders wrote:
> This concerns the best way to tag a hospital/healthcare facility that
> is known as a 'free standing emergency department. It is also called
> an offsite emergency department.

> Does this situation dictate a new high-level attribute value (e.g.
> amenity=free_standing_emergency_department) or is it better addressed
> via …
> amenity=clinic, healthcare=clinic,
> clinic=freestanding_emergency_department tag ?

I've mapped one of these:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/6372786026

Unfortunately it doesn't have "Emergency" in its name, but that's what
it is -- a standalone emergency department owned and operated by NYU
Langone. You can walk in, but it seems to mostly be ambulance traffic. I
went for healthcare=centre+healthcare:speciality=emergency, but I'm not
convinced that's perfect.

It's got a very different feel from an "Urgent Care" center, which I'd
tag as healthcare=clinic. It feels like a hospital department that
happens to be offsite.

Jason